I dreamed a dream…of cookies and cream…cupcakes.
There’s something about rich, decadent, chocolate cupcakes filled with hidden bits of oreo cookies and topped off with a nice big swirl of cookies and cream frosting. When I think of cookies and cream, I think of either ice cream or a milkshake. So when I was considering making a cupcake version, I debated on how I wanted to do it. Luckily, Bakerella read my mind and posted a recipe for exactly that a week earlier! Thanks, Bakerella!!! You are amazing.
I added extra oreo crumbs to the frosting because I wanted it to taste like an Oreo, and I also sprinkled some more oreo crumbs on after I piped the cookies and cream frosting on to the cupcakes. Then, I topped each cupcake off with a little mini oreo and enjoyed one (or three) while taking the pictures. Shhhh!
Later that night, I made all my friends come over after their float trip to help me eat them so I can still fit into my clothes. It would’ve been bad if they didn’t come over.
Me alone + cupcakes + this song = no more cupcakes and 10 pounds heavier. I still think it might have been worth it if that would’ve been the case though.
These cupcakes were incredible–quite possibly my new favorite cupcake to make, actually. Enjoy!
Cookies and Cream Cupcakes (adapted from Bakerella’s recipe)
For the cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 Cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup natural unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/4 Cup sugar
- 3/4 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup vegetable oil
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 Cup milk
- 3/4 Cup hot water
- 18 Oreos plus 6 more for crumbs
- small snack size box of mini oreos
- 1 Cup butter (two sticks), softened at room temperature
- 1 Lb powdered sugar
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-6 Tablespoons of milk
- 4 Tablespoons of Oreo cookie crumbs (from the cupcake recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line tray with baking cups (this recipe made about 18 cupcakes for me).
- Break Oreos into smaller pieces and disperse evenly in the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- Mix the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl using a whisk. Then add the eggs, oil, vanilla, milk, and mix well until throughly incorporated (I used a hand-held mixer for this). The batter should look like normal batter right now–kind of like a hot chocolate color too.
- Then add the hot water and mix until is it combined. Now the mixture should be a much thinner liquid. Transfer batter into a large measuring cup and fill each cupcake cup about 3/4 full. Bake for 16-18 minutes. Repeat the baking process for any remaining batter.
- Put the 6 extra Oreos (from the cupcake ingredients) in a ziplock bag. Using a rolling pin, crush the oreos until they are extremely fine and crumbled–if they are too big, they won’t go through the piping tip!
- Beat the butter with a mixer until it is creamed. Add the vanilla. Then add the powdered sugar slowly in increments, scraping down the sides after each time. Add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time until you get the desired consistency. Add the 4 tablespoons of Oreo crumbs and mix until fully incorporated.
- Place frosting in a piping bag or ziplock bag with a 1M frosting tip, and swirl the frosting on each individual cupcake. Sprinkle some extra Oreo crumbs on top of the frosting, and then top each cupcake with a mini Oreo.