Today’s Blogger Guest Post for The Holiday Project:
Carrie from Our Life In Food
[I’ve been reading Our Life In Food for a while now, and I just love Carrie’s great recipes! This dish would make a great antipasto for any event! Thanks, Carrie!]
Many of the best memories over the course of my life involve sharing good food and drinks with the people that I love. And when it comes to the holidays, there’s just nothing quite as heartwarming as un-bundling from the cold and settling in with family over a great cheese tray and a nice bottle of red wine. We talk, we laugh, we tell jokes, and we make great memories together over appetizers and snacks. And so for me, holiday appetizer recipes might just be my favorite of all of the special foods that we make over the holiday season. They’re the little treats that I associate with the fondest memories and with my favorite part of the holiday season – enjoying the company of my loved ones.
This marinated cheese and olives recipe is a great little appetizer and a unique addition to a cheese platter. It’s a simple recipe – just tangy olives, creamy cheese, and juicy sun dried tomatoes all combined in a lovely dressing made from olive oil, vinegar, brown mustard, rosemary, and spices. It’s the kind of recipe that you can throw together quickly and easily, and it’s the kind of snack that you can leave sitting out for people to nibble on. Just throw a little container of toothpicks next to your serving bowl or onto your cheese platter, grab a glass of wine or a mug of eggnog, and setttle in.
Marinated Cheese and Olives
Source: Adapted from Southern Living Ultimate Christmas Cookbook
- 2/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 2/3 cup green olives stuffed with pimientos
- 6-8 oz block Colby cheese, cut into cubes
- 6-8 sun dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar (or any kind of vinegar that you prefer)
- 1 heaping teaspoon brown mustard
- 1 sprig rosemary, minced
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Good pinch Herbs de Provence
- Good pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1. Place the olives, cheese, and sun dried tomatoes in a mixing bowl.
2. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, and rosemary. Season to taste with a pinch of salt, pepper, Herbs de Provence, and crushed red pepper flakes.
3. Pour the dressing over the olive mixture. Mix gently, and refrigerate until ready to serve.*
*This recipe can be made well in advance and will keep for a few weeks in the refrigerator. Just be sure to remove from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving, as the dressing will begin to solidify when cold due to the olive oil.
Carrie has been the author at Our Life in Food since 2008. She believes in the power of great home cooking and the role that good food and drinks play in enriching our lives. She loves to drink beer, sip wine, try new recipes and perfect old favorites, and spend lazy hours laughing and talking while out to eat at a local pub or a favorite restaurant.