My first mud run was a success! …if you count crossing the finish line as a success haha. But really, it was so much fun! We crawled through mud pits, jumped into the beautiful Sacramento River, and rewarded ourselves with ice cold Sierra Nevada beers afterward (yep, Sierra Nevada was one of the sponsors for the event!). Plus, our outfits were so awesome that the mud just came right off! Here is a pic of us post-run. Shiny, right?
Now, I wish I could say that the success of the mud run was due to my diligence in working out and training beforehand. However, this would be a damn lie. I tried! I SWEAR. I did run a lot the week before but I can’t say I did much else. AND I had a terrible cough that still hasn’t gone away. But I am convinced that these overnight oats helped a lot. I ate them almost everyday before the race!
Overnight oats are delicious and so simple to make! You just soak the oats in milk, yogurt, and a couple of additional ingredients overnight and they will absorb the liquid. You don’t have to cook or even heat anything up.
Flaxseed. Chia seeds. Greek yogurt. Almond butter. Fruit. Old-fashioned oats. Milk. Cinnamon. Agave.
Yup, this breakfast has it all. A bowl of this topped off with an extra scoop of almond butter (for good measure) is an awesome way to start your day.
Oh, and the best part?! It take about FIVE minutes to make. Plus you can customize it however you want. And you just mix all of the ingredients together in a mason jar. BOOM. Happiness all around.
- 1/3 cup rolled oats (not the instant kind)
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/3-1/2 cup milk (depending on how thin you want your oats)
- 1 spoonful of almond butter
- 1 TB chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar (or honey)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Chocolate chips
- More almond butter
- In a mason jar or tupperware container, mix all of the ingredients together thoroughly.
- Place in the fridge overnight.
- Remove from fridge the next morning and top the oats with any additional ingredients you’d like. (If you want you can heat the oats up for a couple of seconds in the microwave but I like to eat it cold.)
- Eat and enjoy!