Did everyone have a nice Thanksgiving? I think my favorite part of Thanksgiving was when I caught my adult cousin literally licking her plate clean :) Trust me, I was thinking of doing the sammme thing…she just beat me to it.
Now that Turkey Day over, the Christmas season is starting to set in! Warm fires, snow, hot drinks, fudge, cookies, ugly sweaters, Christmas movies, Christmas SONGS. The list goes on.
My favorite drink? This mulled cider!! It’s so warm and tasty. One sip makes me want to curl up under a blanket and watch Christmas movies back-to-back all weekend long (too bad it’s Monday!). And if you’re not a grandma like me who enjoys the occasional spiked drink while watching movies on a Saturday night, I guaranteeeee that this cider would be a hit at any holiday party!! It’s really easy to make and one pot serves a small gathering.
The trick to this cider is using unfiltered apple juice. And fresh fruit. Fresh fruit always wins.
The fruit and spice blend create a magnificent aroma, and you can barely taste the rum but it adds a really wonderful flavor to the drink (you can add more rum or omit it entirely if you’d like too!)
Oh, and your house will smell AMAZING when you make this!! Not. even. kidding. Warning: This cider goes fast so you may want to get enough ingredients to make two (or three) batches :)
What’s your favorite holiday drink???
- 1 64 oz. bottle of unfiltered apple juice
- 1 apple, cored
- 1 orange
- 4-5 cinamon sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 cup of spiced rum (more or less to your taste)
- Heat up the apple juice in a large pot on the stove over medium-high heat.
- While the apple juice is heating up, cut the apple and orange into 1/2 inch slices.
- Add the apple and orange slices to the warm apple juice.
- Then add the cinnamon sticks, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves to the juice.
- Turn the heat to low and let the mixture simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the spiced rum and let it the mixture warm up (just until it’s hot enough to drink or else you’ll burn off all the alcohol!).
- Once it’s warm, remove from heat and serve immediately.