I have a strange obsession with jalapeno poppers. They’re just so easy to make and great for so many occasions. But sometime they aren’t necessarily the best for you. Cream cheese? Delicious. Bacon? I’ll take 100 please. However, I can’t justify eating regular jalapeno poppers all the time. So I present to you…guilt-free poppers!
These jalapenos are stuffed with a combination of quinoa, black beans, and corn and then topped off with some monterey jack cheese. They make a perfect appetizer or snack! I can also imagine eating them with eggs in the morning or as a side dish. The quantity pictured in this post? Yeah, I almost ate all of them by myself. No regrets.
Some jalapenos are way hotter than others though so be careful! Make sure you take out all of the seeds and wear gloves while doing so or wash your hands with soap right after. They are also tasty reheated so it’s ok if you make a few extra. Make some this weekend…or maybe make some banana chocolate chip pancakes! :)
What’s your favorite guilt-free snack?
Happy Friday! :)
- 6 jalapenos (12 halves)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the jalapenos in half and take out the seeds (use gloves or wash your hands with soap directly afterwards).
- In a bowl, mix together the quinoa, black beans, and corn.
- Scoop the quinoa mixture generously into each jalapeno half. I found that using a spoon to shape a mound works best.
- Place the poppers on a baking sheet (with a few inches between each of them) and then bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, sprinkle cheese on top of each popper and then place back in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Allow poppers to cool for 5 minutes and then serve immediately.