This week was a two dinners in one night kind of week. Literally. Pad Thai at 5:30pm and then 3 amazingly delicious pizzas (split between 9 of us) around 9pm on a Wednesday night. I mean, my co-workers and I were hanging out in North Beach and since that neighborhood is the home of Little Italy, we had to check out Tony’s Pizza. I don’t regret a thing. And yeah, my co-workers love food as much as I do! It’s awesome.
This week I watched the Great Gatsby! That soundtrack is…wack. I mean it’s good but weird. Jay-Z produced it? I can tell! Overall, I liked the movie though. There were a few scenes that didn’t fit but it was a good movie! Now when I see a pic of Leo I can’t imagine him without his Jay Gatsby accent…old sport.
This week we also saw Guy Fieri at the food truck park by our office! He was filming an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dive. I don’t even really watch that show but I thought it was awesome that he was there (Guy is actually from my hometown Santa Rosa!). I watched him drive back and forth 5 feet at a time trying to record the intro to the show, and I also snapped some pics. It was fun :)
This week I mis-read my own recipe and baked up a disaster. A salty distaster, friends. The kind that you just have to toss in the trash. Note to self: Don’t attempt to make cookies when watching the Sharks game. Ugh.
This week I made this Blackberry Mint Spritzer! It’s so refreshing and bubbly and easy to drink. This spritzer is the perfect fake fancy drink to make if you’re looking for a last minute drink recipe on Memorial Day weekend! AKA it tastes and looks awesome but is suuuuuuper simple to make. Fruit, mint, and bubbles. Delish. I didn’t add any alcohol in it but if you want, just swap out 1.5 oz (a shot glass size) of the sparkling water for rum or vodka and you’ll have yourself a refreshing cocktail to start your weekend with. You could also pair this drink with these red, white, and blue chocolate dipped strawberries for a festive snack!
The week still has more adventures to come. A few of my college friends are coming into the city tonight and we’re going to have a girls night! Not like a let’s-hit-the-town girls night…but more of a 80-year-old-grandma girls night. My favorite kind of night. We’re going to order some take out, put on a chick flick, catch up on each other’s lives, and probably go to sleep at 10pm. Glorioussssss!
What are you up to for the 3 day weekend? Happy Friday!!
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 blackberries
- 10 mint leaves
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1.5 oz simple syrup (a little less than 1 shot glass!)
- 1/2 cup sparkling water
- Garnish (optional): extra mint leaves, 3 blackberries, lime slices
- Comine the sugar and water in a small pot and bring mixture to a boil. Stir when needed.
- Once it boils, turn down the heat to low for about 2 minutes and let simmer until all the sugar is disolved. Let cool to room temperature.
- Combine the blackberries, mint leaves, and simple syrup in a cup. Using a muddler (or the back of a wooden spoon), muddle everything together, squishing the juice from the blackberries and mint leaves.
- Then add the sparkling water and fresh lime juice.
- Fill the rest of the glass with ice, garnish with some sprigs of mint, a few black berries, a slice of lime and serve immediately.